Thursday, July 14, 2016

Camp Day 4












Day 4.  At this point I was so proud of myself to make it this far without running home.  The morning started out with a french toast bar and flag ceremony.  We headed to the amphitheater.

We had a Face to Face interview with the stake presidency and their wives.  The girls had submitted questions a few months before.  As I went through and typed up the questions I just cried at how heart wrenching the questions were.  The stake presidency was very difficult to work with, and very immature.  Every time we tried to confirm they would be available for this they would give us some joke in return, or act like they had no clue what we were talking about.  One time I approached the counselor over girls camp and said, "We just need to know if we can plan on you or if we should plan a different activity."  He responded, "You should probably know by now if our mouths are open (talking) we probably aren't serious."   They were so frustrating to try and plan this activity.  I was talking to one of the wives a short time before camp, and she was clueless.  She didn't know she was even participating .  I had sent out letters, lists of questions, etc.  In the end it was a highlight of camp,and I am so glad it all came together.   The wives were so sweet and humble, and the stake presidency came through.  The spirit was strong, and many of the questions were answered so beautifully.  The girls were absolutely silent, fixed on every word.  There were a few questions left unanswered.  As the day progressed many of the unanswered questions were answered by presentations.  The interesting thing is the people answering those questions had no idea that girls were struggling with those things, and that the questions had even been asked.  God is so detail oriented.

After the face to face they split up as wards and the YCLs did a reflect and review activity in their wards.  We had lunch of Hawaiian haystacks.  The girls then went to listen to their Jungle talks...You can't pet a rattle snake-  (agency/choice and accountability)
Being Chaste while being chased- (dating sexual purity/dress and appearance)
Standing firm in a stampede- (Entertainment/media music and dancing)
Circle of Life- (Gratitude/honesty/family/obedience) 
We had asked  the ward YW presidents that didn't have a previous assignment present these months before camp.  Two presidents cancelled a week before camp.  That was a wee bit bothersome..both were there and could have,but for one reason or another decided they couldn't.  Sister Westenskow and Sister Hix stepped up and their presentations were some of my favorites.  The girls had a bit of free time and then headed to spend time as their bishops counseled their individual wards.  We had dinner after.  The stake president brought up a friend and they cooked dutch oven chicken and potatoes. One of the bishops brought up rolls from cowboy donuts, and the cooks made a delightful salad.  We also had bundt cake as dessert.  

After dinner we headed to our faith walk.  As we were trying to plan the faith walk Diana kept trying to think of people that had had trials in the stake.  I don't remember saying it, but she said during the meeting I said, "Well we all have had trials, that's why were here, so we should be able to ask anyone."  At the next meeting we switched gears she said, "that hit me at the last meeting, let's just pull from the leaders already there at camp."  So our faith walk was kind of like a spokes of a wheel.  We had four groups, and in every group they had 3 presenters that talked about how they had been tried, tested, and remained true.  Wow!  You would not believe the stories.  I would never have had any idea that these ladies had endured these things.  They were all beautiful stories of faith, trust in their Heavenly Father, and enduring really, really hard things.  The different groups met up down in a grove of trees where we had smuggled in the Will Higbee.  Will is an incredibly talented singer, actor, and teen heart throb.  He portrayed Joseph Smith, recited Joseph Smith's first vision, and persecution that came after from memory, and sang acapella.  It was lovely.  We then silently walked to the amphitheater where we had very touching testimony meeting.  Several of the girls said this was their very favorite year of camp, and they could feel the spirit stronger than camp in the past.  I cringed every time a girl said that.  There had been so much hard that went with the planning of camp, and so many past stake YW presidents and camp directors were in attendance I didn't want any of them to feel like there offering was less than, sometimes it is just the girls are just at a point they are ready to hear and learn, and more receptive to the spirit.  After a lot of crying  we went into the lodge for a midnight snack. 

 The most delicious thing of all happened this night!!!! I got to sleep in the lodge.  For the first time in 4 nights I was warm, and I slept.  It was glorious.  However, we stayed up way too late talking, and early in the morning...like 4:30 I woke up and just had to weep at the beauty and the miraculous events of the past week.  God had been good to us.  It was so amazing to think of God's hand in the last six months of planning.  It was humbling to see events in my minds eye, where I reflected on promptings I had acted on without knowing why, and had seen it come full circle.  I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for gifting me with this experience.  It was so, so hard.  I wanted to quit so frequently.  I felt so incapable of dealing with the drama and complaining.  I feel kind of like the Grinch, my heart grew two sizes from the experience.

No comments: