Monday, July 11, 2016

Camp Day 1


Diana giving Gertie a sip
 Saturday afternoon Aaron Bonham, our good friend from Enoch, called and asked if he could stay at our house Sunday night.  Sunday my eye was swollen and I couldn't wear contacts.  I knew I needed to go to a doctor before heading out to camp Monday morning.  I called the bishop of the 7th ward who is an eye doctor and asked if he'd be able to see me first thing Monday morning.
Melissa, Diana, & April Dawn
 Aaron and his guest arrived at 2:30 am.  I hit the ground running at 5 am.  Just trying to make sure everything was packed and in order, and tie up loose ends.  I ran Kira and Nathan to swim, and then ran to the doctor.  He prescribed antibiotics and steroids for my eye,and told me if it got worse I'd have to come home from camp, and be on oral antibiotics.  I out smarted him and took Mexican drugs with me.  I sent Aaron off at 9, and then said goodbye to my kids.  Kira was really struggling, and had alligator tears running down her face.  I headed to the pharmacy only

Karlee, Reina, & Cindy
 to find they did not have it in stock and I'd need to come back tomorrow at 9.  I asked the Pharmacist if he could send it with his wife to camp,  and he said she's leaving today.  I asked if there was any other thing I could
McKenzee,  Emilee, Abagail and Kayla
use, and he said to give him a few minutes.  I ran to Diana's house to pick her up.  Gertie the 10 foot giraffe had her ear in my space and her nose in Diana's space.  I chuckled over and over about how dumb it was to be sharing the front seat with a 10 foot
Emily, Abbie, Megan, Lynzi, Leslie, and NAtalie
giraffe.  Who does that kind of thing?  After picking up Diana and loading all of her stuff I went back to the pharmacy, and as I was walking into the store the tech was walking back from Smith's with my presciption they had borrowed from Smith's.  At last we were off.  Ointment in my eye.  Loaded to the hilt.  We arrived at the camp 2 hours away and hurriedly prepared for the arrival of the 4th year girls and the YCLs.  We set up 2 stations for  Thank You gifts, a station for name tags, and a station for pins.  We also set out a station for the girls to pack the cinch sacks with a  chapstick, a whistle, a pen, a bracelet, a camp book, and their name tags.
Paige & Lucee

Alondra, Megan, Shayla, Lynzi, Ana, Abbie, & Natalie
M'Kaylie & Sister Killpack
 The girls came before we knew it and worked for several hours to get all of the jobs done.  I am so glad that I didn't try to do all of that.  It took 3 solid hours for 30 YCLs working steady to get it all done.  It was fun to watch them work and chat.  They were so ready to be done when we finished.  We had them decorate a bit.  Then it was time for dinner and family home evening.  After dinner they decorated a little more, and then we got them all comfy in their beds in the lodge and headed to our beds.
Ashlyn

Sister Killpack, Paige, & Lucee
Abbie & Ana
 We headed down to our tent.  I was exhausted from my limited sleep the night before and knew I would sleep like a rock.  Needless to say.  Sleep evaded me.  I could not shut my mind off, tossed and turned, and froze all night long.  I bet I got an hour of sleep.  Diana set her alarm for 5 am.  We both beat the alarm up, and were in the showers well before 5.  The cooks were bringing the utensils,and equipment with them.  We went to fix sausage and pancakes for the girls and realized we had nothing to make it all with.  We were resourceful and used a cannery can to heat water in, and a water bottle to dispense the syrup.  It all worked out and we were so excited when the camp cooks finally arrived.
Paige & Lucee dancing to Vanilla Ice



No comments: