Gabrielle received her patriarchal blessing. I had wondered if we were going to make it to her appointment. We had been passing around a wicked case of the stomach flu, and I didn't know if we would be healthy enough to make it to this appointment.
Last year the patriarch talked to the youth and told them he strongly recommended them getting their patriarchal blessings before entering high school. Gaby told me in no uncertain terms she would get hers when she was good and ready.
This summer Gaby said, "Mom, guess what? I talked to the bishop about getting my recommend for my patriarchal blessing today!" I was so excited I said, "What did he say?!!!" She said, "Oh he said he wouldn't have time for several weeks." I was irritated he put her off. A few weeks later she talked to him again he basically told her the same thing. I was complaining to Greg and he said just have her call the executive secretary and set up an appointment. So she did. She set up all of the appointments and took care of everything herself.
The morning of her blessing I talked to her about the things she was hoping to hear. I told her of a boy I had met the summer after I graduated high school that let me read his amazing 5 page blessing that told him some really awesome promises and blessings. His blessing told him of his righteousness and example in the pre-existence and as a result he would serve as an apostle later in his life. I can remember taking his blessing back to him after I read it on my lunch break and telling him how awesome it was! He flicked it at me and said, "I don't want this!" Satan had been ravaging his life. I talked her about how important it was that she needed to remember that the blessing was conditional on her worthiness and righteousness.
The blessing was so beautiful, and perfectly tailored for this sweet, choice, unique daughter of God. It was very touching when the patriarch stated exactly what she had told me earlier that morning she longed and hoped to hear. I remember as a little girl, I was raising Gaby to be this cookie cutter child. Sometimes I would get frustrated because she did not fit the mold. When I finally took a step back and realized God had given me a precious gift, I was not in control and ruining His precious daughter by my preconceived ideas of what and who she needed to be. I was finally able to open the package and with awe see who she had always been. I am so grateful to be gifted with opportunity to be this beautiful daughter of God's mother. It is such a blessing, responsibility, and lovely opportunity to see who and what she is becoming and what she has always been. It was humbling to see the great mission this little girl holds in Heavenly Father's kingdom. I hope to be able to do those things that will help her prepare to successfully accomplish her mission in this life and into the eternities. We love you sweet Gabs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment