 |
| Gaby & Greg heading out |
 |
| Mori |
 |
| Bennie |
 |
| Miss Kira |
 |
| Bennie aka trouble |
 |
| Seth playing Catch Phrase |
 |
| Kira Spotting Elk |
 |
| Playing Catch Phrase |
After the kids got out of school on the 16th we headed out to camp. Greg and Gaby took off as soon as we pulled up. Ben was devastated. He feels like if his dad and the 4 wheeler are together he should be with them. The kids and I got camp ready. We unloaded the car, fixed the beds, built a fire pit, cleared june grass, and then had a little fun. We hiked a bit, and played a few games. This is my kind of October camping. It was in the 60s while the sun was up. The weather was lovely. No wind, no bugs, and NO COLD!
 |
| Going on a hike |
 |
| A little lovin' |
 |
| Mom & Bennie |
 |
| The Beast |
 |
| Hanging off on each end, an antler on one end and a hoof on the other |
 |
Sometimes you just have to be thankful for
answered prayers |
About dusk Greg and Gaby came screeching into camp. Greg said, "I've been calling you for the last 4 hours." I'm sure he figured out at some point I didn't get any of his calls. He had left his phone at camp, and the walkie talkies didn't have that good of range, because we were in a cove. The kids and I jumped in the Suburban and headed out to help. By the time we got there it was pitch black. The roads were absolutely the worst roads EVER. So rutty and washed out.
We drove the Suburban as far as we could. By this time it was pitch black, the moon had gone behind clouds and there was NO light. Greg was concerned the coyotes were going to get to the meat before we could get back. I had called Robert and he said we needed to quarter the elk to get it out. I think we were thinking deer hunting, because when Robert told me he carries a sawzall and knife with replaceable blades I knew we were out of our league.
I knew there was no way to safely take all of the kids up the side of the mountain in the dark. Bennie was exhausted and needed to go to sleep. I left Gaby in charge of Ben, Seth, and Kira and just prayed they'd be okay in the Suburban, because I knew Greg needed all the help he could get. I knew there were no other hunters, but I didn't want them to be scared out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, with coyotes howling all around. Seth is my little prayer warrior. It turns out he was praying too. Greg, Mori, and I hopped on the 4 wheeler. I hate 4 wheelers. I really hate them when more than one person is on them. I have spent a good portion of my life putting people back together again after 4-wheeler wrecks! UGH! I must say I feared for our lives as we tried to get back up to the elk. It was a huge relief when Greg said we had to get off. I would have joyfully walked the whole way. A rutty road, an over taxed 4 wheeler, and a psychopath woman is not a good combo...ever. We got up to the elk, and I could not believe how big it was. I knew it was going to require divine assistance to get the beast off of the mountain. I think we have been well schooled in the differences between elk and deer hunting. We tried a few brainy ideas, which really turned out to not be that brainy. We paused for a prayer, and then our predicament improved greatly. Mori and I are sure that the grandpas of generations past were helping us out. There were some very scary times. At one point only one wheel was on the ground. I am so glad that it didn't roll, especially with the weight of the elk on it. People do dumb things for the sake of hunting. Greg was really irritated, several times questioning why he was doing this. Now that a week has passed we are already talking about next year. We were richly blessed to make it off the mountain all intact. Mori and I walked back to the suburban, in the pitch black, following the rutty road, with our flash light that was teetering on the brink of death. We held hands, sang songs, and talked; it will be a memory I cherish forever. She is a good, kind, sweet, strong girl. The kids were all happy and had enjoyed watching movies while we were gone for 2 hours. Bennie stayed awake the whole time, and never cried. The kids all agreed that they were never scared. I'm grateful for good kids. Seth said, "I kept praying for ya! I knew you'd be okay." Thank goodness for answered prayers. If it wasn't for divine assistance we'd still be on the mountain with the beautiful beast, but he wouldn't be so beautiful anymore! We loaded him on the trailer and made it home about 12:30 completely wore out! The next morning we noticed that his hoof had been up against the trailer tire the entire way home and had worn his hoof down. Seriously it's so miraculous we are safe, and all is well. We are so grateful to be watched over, and protected.
 |
| The mighty hunter |
No comments:
Post a Comment