Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bringing in the Christmas Season





For several years I have insisted on having an artificial tree. We had our artificial tree up, and decorated. We were beginning the Christmas season as we always had. Decking the house, to-do lists a mile long, and and and and! The first Saturday in December I played a voice message from a friend on the speakers inviting us to go with them to cut down a tree and go to the Storybook Cavalcade Parade. My kids screamed with joy, and my mile long to-do list went out the window. We had so much fun, and would like to continue this as a tradition.

The tree was absolutely perfect--it was beautiful without the lights and decorations. We had such a great day as a family, and with our friends. As we drove we read the book, "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!" The girls LOVED the story, and enjoyed being kids. In retrospection I'm changing how we have done Christmas in the past.

I've always been so busy that it is hard to enjoy the season, and I end up wishing it was over and the list was done. I have simplified a ton over the years, but in years to come it is going to be much more simple. I really think that sometimes the abundant life can be a curse. So overwhelming it is hard to teach or feel gratitude, and so busy it is hard to have a fixed focus on the Savior. I hope to try to take time to savor the little things with my little family, and have the Savior as our central focus.

2 comments:

Coombs N Company said...

Please send me all of your simple ideas because I really need to simplify it too!

Amy said...

I'm not sure what they are--I just know something has to give!!!!