Saturday, January 16, 2016

A New Friend


When we arrived home from the swim meet I had just sat down to eat a few carrots and humus, and  I got a text from a senior missionary friend (Paula) we have.  They are from our ward, and are serving in SLC at the Family History Center.  The text read "Are you home?". Next thing I knew I found myself at McDonald's picking up a stranded girl from their son in law's ward in Iowa.

God is indeed in the details of our lives.  This girl was a fairly new convert to the church, Paula's Son in law was this girl's bishop from Iowa, and she had been living with a family from Cokeville, Wyoming for the last 18 months in Iowa.  His dad was the principal of the elementary school when the Cokeville Miracle happened.  Right around the corner from us lives the daughter of the county commissioner when the Cokeville Miracle happened.  Anyway, the girl, Rachael was driving 16 hours from Iowa to Provo and wrecks in the hometown of her bishop's wife.  She came and stayed with us from Saturday until Tuesday.

Rachael was good, and it was fun to get to know her.  Life will school her soon enough on a few of the wonky things she said.  Such as, but not limited to "I'm not sure if there's anyone in Provo intelligent enough to carry on a conversation with."  "I could never be a stay at home mother I'm way too intelligent and social." "These Wyoming boys that are working for the oil field and mines are doing absolutely nothing with their lives, I can't believe they think they'll get anywhere with just an associates degree. I need to find someone that I can't at least have an intelligent conversation with."

I sincerely hope at some point in my life I can get to the point that when people say stupid things it doesn't bother me.  Her car was totaled and these Wyoming people really rallied around her.  The YSA ward made numerous trips to drive her around during her stay, back and forth as she participated in their meetings and activities.  One family after learning of her circumstances changed their plans of going to Salt Lake City, came at 6:30, loaded all of her belongings in the back of their vehicle, and drove her to Provo, helped her get unloaded and settled, and then went on to their appointment in SLC.  There were several that offered to do the same.  People are good.  Their good deeds to help another was truly heart warming to me!

No comments: