Monday, August 17, 2015

Anchored in Christ

The Popeye look looks good on Greg!

He LOVES taking pictures

Bennie

Gaby

Mori

Kira

Seth

The school goers

Our Ship
Well, I just want to make it clear that this started as a brilliant idea.  It was AB-
SOLUTELY brilliant.  I don't know at what point we deviated from the brilliant part, but deviate we did.
      I was reading a book, and I loved a section where it spoke of our testimonies of our Savior anchoring us in troubled times.  Into my mind danced visions of an absolutely fabulous Family Home Evening.  A few evenings later I searched ideas, and became increasingly more excited.  I am married to an insomniac, at 4 o'clock that morning he appeared awake so I spoke to him of my absolutely brilliant idea. I could envision our traditional, yearly FHE where each of the kids are given father's blessings before the start of school, more meaningful, spiritual, and faith building than ever before.  We had to eat dinner so I would incorporate it into the special evening.  It appeared that Mr. Farnsworth was in absolute agreement and excited too.  I found anchor charms I would attach to the kids' backpacks, purses, key rings, etc as a subtle reminder that we want to be Anchored in Christ as individuals and as a family.
      We made a giant anchor to put on our ship.  We made a flag with our scripture, Helaman 5:12.  I made little favor baskets that included a framed picture of Helaman 5:12 (for their lockers), a box of DOTS (Depend On The Savior), baggies of Swedish Fish that said "Just Keep Swimming", and a little sign that said "Anchored in Christ".  The paper goods were adorable; I think it was the yellow with white Polk-a-dot napkins that really made me most excited.  I also got cute tissue paper pompom balls, and little twirly things for decor.  The kids were so excited as our special evening drew near.  Gaby strung Christmas lights on our pine tree.  Kira worked hard hanging the decorations from the pine tree.  Mori made the chain for the anchor.  Our menu for the evening was Fettuccine  Alfredo with shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic, salad, and cheddar biscuits.  The girls LOVE Studio C and Divine Comedy.  There is a sketch where a character goes to Red Lobster and tries to order the FREE cheddar biscuits and water.  They think it's hilarious.
      As the time for our dinner rolled around, the kids were bursting with excitement.  Apparently the wind decided to join in.  It was insane.  I probably set the table 10 times only to have the wind absolutely destroy the beauty.  My lovely little napkins were ruined as the wind blew my cute stem ware over.  At that point it really didn't matter how cute my napkins coordinated with the stem ware with the lemon wedge on the side. I set the lovely platter of fettuccine Alfredo on the table, just as Ben reached up, grabbing a fist full. That boy was starving.  I was starting to give up, when I had a very distinct impression that the little details that mattered to me didn't matter to any of the kids (and certainly not to Heavenly Father) but if I made a big deal about it that's what they'd remember.
     Sister Barker is a big fan of the Barefoot Contessa.  Before our 4th of July party she sent me a message saying the Barefoot Contessa says if you get stressed, if you are all RED in the face, and running around being sharp, snappy, and bossy no one will want to be at your event.  I appreciate Sister Barker, and I appreciate her Barefoot Contessa advice.  It's easy for me to conjure up the scene in my head...let's face it we've all been at a event where we thought NEVER. AGAIN! largely due to the hostess' inability to keep a handle on her stress.  So the mental image popped into my head, and I just pleaded with Heavenly Father that the kids could feel the spirit and have the desire to anchor their lives to the rock of our Savior, and nothing else would matter.  Too often I get caught up in the production of it all when that's not what matters at all.  Whether it's a lesson, a sharing time, a family home evening, a ward party, a family get together, you name it; it's easy to deviate from the thing that matters most...Anchoring our families, our ward families, our communities in Christ.
    Each of the kids were given a beautiful father's blessing by Greg.  Bennie went first, after which he was a little jealous of others who sat in the special chair...he's a bit possessive.  Our lesson went well as our theme and scripture for the year were introduced.  Greg talked to the kids about Laman and Lemuel continually forgetting how often God had revealed to them the things that mattered most , and how important it is to REMEMBER, as in Helaman 5:12.  We talked about how important it is to have a strong chain to hold our anchor.  If one link is weak in the chain, our anchor doesn't do us any good.  Each of the kids wrote things we could do to help strengthen us on the links of the chain.  That night Kira sweetly said, "Mom I just want to thank you for all the work you put into tonight."  She's sweet, I appreciated that she acknowledged my effort irregardless of the disaster.

No comments: