Saturday, January 28, 2017

Shiver in the River 2017









Mori and Kira had a great meet at the Shiver in the River.  Both had perfect meets; improving their times on all their races.  Mori added the 500 yard Free and the 1650 Yard Free (just over a mile) to her arsenal.

Mori swam a full meet, maxing out on her events each day.  Friday after a full day of school and swimming 4 events she swam the 1650 Free.  It was about 10:30 pm when the race started.  She finished strong with a great time for her first time swimming the mile.  She really dreaded swimming this event, but I think long distance swimming is her forte.  When I talked to her coach he had no question that she could swim all of her races.  He said, "That is what she is conditioned to do, she just doesn't know it!  We try to get in 5000 yards every practice." She looked so tired and felt bad for her.  I knew it had been a long day for her. The meet directors had no idea so many kids would sign up for this meet.  Greg and I timed for her and Delaney was her counter, I kind of think Delaney had her swim an extra lap.  It brought tears to my eyes as her friends stayed to cheer her on when they had a long day too and would be back up early for day 2 of the meet.  Greg took Kira home with the rest of the kids after her races were over, because we knew it wasn't going to end on time.

Kira is turning into quite the swimmer.  She has a weird agonal breathing going on during her freestyle, but once she gets that figured out she'll be unstoppable.   She did really great on all of her races, and I am excited to watch her as her strength and endurance grow.  She has the determination and toughness to be successful.  A few days before the meet she said, "I have decided I like swim meets, and I can't wait for the next one!"

They were both up early Saturday morning, and at the pool before 8.  Saturday was another very good day for both girls.  Mori qualified for A state, sadly she ages up the day before and will be ineligible to swim.  Her coach told me, "You really planned her birthday horribly!"  Mori finished Saturday swimming the 500 Free.  She rocked it, swimming it in just over 7 minutes.  Again, as her coaches and friends cheered her on, it just makes me weepy.  These kids could have gone home, but they stayed and cheered, and cheered, and then were so excited for her to finish first.  Way to go girls you make your mama proud!!


No comments: