Thursday, September 22, 2016

9/22/2016

Today started like any other.  Wake up at 6 am.  Cook Breakfast.  Help kids get ready for school, Make sure kids are out the door on time.  Quickly get chores done.  Primary presidency meeting.  

I had an appointment to have lunch with a friend.  We had just finished eating, and I looked down and saw I had missed 3 calls and numerous texts, and then my phone started ringing again.  It was Gaby, "Mom, can you come and get me?  They are evacuating the school.  I need you to come right now!".  A few weeks ago a car had hit a power pole and knocked out power.  The middle school was let out early that day.  I wasn't too worried, until calls, emails, and texts were coming from all of the children.  I called Greg, "What is going on?".  He reported that a threat had come through Homeland Security and all schools and government buildings were being evacuated due to a bomb threat."  

As I picked up Gaby and her friend, Jayden I could tell they were worried.  Morgan called and told me she was really confused.  She couldn't hear the announcement, and asked somebody next to her what was going on.  They responded, "I think Hiliary Clinton is the new president." A little neighbor boy, Ammon, rides to school with us.  His mom had called to say they weren't letting anyone into the school too pick up a child without an ID.  She said a man was screaming and yelling, "My kid knows me!  I don't need ID" and then he started trying to kick in the window.  Greg was waiting for Morgan and Kira to walk to his office, and then Kira's teacher called saying they were not allowing any walkers, so Greg walked over, and walked her back to his office the back way.  Monroe Street was completely blocked with frantic parents.  It was chaos.

The gas station was full.  I heard people ran to the grocery store in a panic to buy food and water.  It was crazy.  

Seth reported his two best friends were crying and scared, and wanted their mom.  His eyes were wide, and I could tell he was scared. Greg said when he picked up Kira kids were crying all over.  Gaby was full of questions, and trying to plot where one would best cause terror in Wyoming.  

Recently I read a book where the author said that peace had been taken from the earth on 9/11.  It struck me hard then that my kids will never know or feel the peace and tranquility that I grew up feeling.  It's crazy to think that the world has been in constant turmoil since their birth.  This is what they will always know...unless my home is peaceful.  

It turned out to be a nice day.  Swim was cancelled.  Play practice was cancelled, Football was cancelled.  We proceeded like any other day; chores, homework, and piano practice.  We updated our 72 hour kits, and had the rest of the night off.  They all needed a little down time, and a little routine.

As Seth and Gaby individually questioned me tonight I told them that Heavenly Father is in control.  As we follow the counsel of His chosen leaders and prepare as we've been instructed we have no need to fear.  God is in charge!  He is mindful and aware of these sweet, confused kids, and mindful of the crazy person that sent the threat.


No comments: