![]() |
| Gaby and her awards at the Swim banquet |
| 50 yard freestyle--Lane 8 (video credit to Mori) |
This past weekend Gaby wrapped up her first swim season. We are so very proud of her. In another post I'll tell all about our journey to the swim program they are in. For now, suffice it to say that all of the children have been very blessed to be coached by Miss Mary (who is a gifted swim instructor). We started USA swim in June. Gaby had taken lessons for several summers when we lived in Utah. She could keep herself from drowning, but in no way, shape, or form was a competition swimmer. We had an experience on the river which was truly miraculous that we came out unscathed. Greg and I knew it was vital to get our kids back in the water to overcome that fear and to be able to swim very well. Green River is a water town;we have a river that runs right through the middle of town, and the Flaming Gorge is 15 minutes from our house. There was no need live in constant fear.
In June she started in level 1. She's a good girl. I would have been too prideful to swim with the little kids, but she didn't act like it bothered her. She quickly progressed; climbing through the levels. When we registered for school in August she wanted out of band (she had been playing the oboe part with her violin, because they do not have an orchestra). I really don't care what extracurricular activity they participate in, but just feel they need to do SOMETHING through their teenage years...I think it is vital to their self-esteem, and good for their growth and development. She promised me then if I let her drop band (which she didn't love) she'd try out for the swim team.
Well, October rolled around, and she was very apprehensive to follow through. She had a few friends that were going to tryout with her, and for whatever reason they didn't. I understand how hard it can be without friends, especially at this age, but a promise is a promise. We traveled to Jackson to watch her swim at a meet. She anxiously waited for her event, sitting through an hour plus of diving, then decided to use the restroom, and while she was in the restroom her event started. I was just beside myself. She told Greg, "Mom is more worried about it than I am." Not a happy moment. I felt not only was she representing the school, but her family. She has FARNSWORTH plastered on her back, down her leg, and on her bag.
The next week there was a meet here. She was vigilant in watching for her event. We arrived a few minutes before her first event. She walked passed us and joyfully told us this was her event. She walked over to the blocks, and was disqualified, because after the warning whistle she didn't immediately step up, she hesitated. She walked over to where we were in the stands and motioned for me to come down. She was in tears. She said, "This one I actually feel bad about, because I was right there." Memo to all parents: If it's their problem, LET IT BE THEIR PROBLEM!!! In Jackson I made her problem mine, and she didn't learn a thing from it (other than her mom is crazy). I encouraged her to go talk to her coach and see what she needed to do differently. She folded her arms across her chest and adamantly refused; exclaiming she hated to swim. I was a wee bit peeved. I decided to head home if she wasn't going to try a little harder. Greg returned with Mori a bit later and watcher her last 2 events. I was so frustrated she had decided to be miserable, and just didn't know how to handle the situation. I prayed for her to just taste a little bit of success, instead of the disappointment she had felt at the previous 2 meets. I had the kids pray for her, and Greg and I discussed and discussed the situation. She was miserable (because she had decided to be), and with every action showed me she was miserable. For Greg she didn't act this way, and occasionally even told him practice was good or fun.
One evening I had a little chat with her and she insisted on quitting. We had already paid a large amount of money, and I wrote an agreement in her journal that she could completely quit swim (USA and everything) if she would finish out the season. She pushed harder wanting to quit. Thank goodness for good husbands; he was adamant that she would not quit (although later he said he too was on the verge of letting her quit). Then something miraculous happened she continued dropping time 10 seconds here, a second here, and at her last meet 23 seconds). She started tasting success, making friends, and doing well. It effected her in other areas well. When they ran the mile at school, instead of not being able to breath after she could, and improved her time to boot. At another meet I was up in the stands. She came and waved me down to hang over the balcony. I know she thinks I did it on purpose, because it is something I would do....but I really couldn't hear her. She had to repeat herself 5 times "MOM, I'm really enjoying myself." Then when we were traveling for Thanksgiving I overheard her tell her Aunt LaDonna that she was going to swim on the team next year. On Monday I picked her up from school, (during swim season a bus would come and pick them up and take them to the high school pool) and she sat there gloomy and said I really miss swim, I wish I was still swimming. She then began discussing joining the USA team with Mori. It must be her choice. Nonetheless, I am proud of her for persevering. I am proud of her for working so hard. Every time I talked to Miss Mary she'd praise her, and say she'd never seen anyone progress so quickly. When Gaby would come into her siblings lessons Mary would say something cute like "I applaud you" or "I've never seen anything like it."
This was a good lesson for me as well. When she was having a hard time in the beginning I immediately thought of myself. Instead of putting myself in her shoes, and seeking to understand her feelings in the matter.
Her siblings were adorable! They were her biggest fans. As we traveled home from the meets it was music to my ears to hear them talk about how proud they were of her, and of the time she dropped. It was cute to watch them cheer, and encourage her on. Even little Bennie would yell out his encouragement. As her mom I am so happy that she was able to work hard, and taste success. I am so happy she made friends that otherwise she wouldn't have known. Good Job Sis!!! We'll miss watching your continuous improvement.

No comments:
Post a Comment